- 3 large egg yolks, save the whites
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 1/2 cup Key Lime juice
- 1/3 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell or graham cracker crust
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, sugar, and zest. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute or until well blended. Spoon into crust. Set aside.
If you're using the same mixing bowl and whisk for the meringue, make sure it is clean and completely dry.
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. With the mixer still on high speed, slowly add the sugar and cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
Spread the meringue over the filling, completely covering the filling to the edge of the pastry. Bake for 30 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Chill for 2 hours or overnight before serving.
Tips for a perfect meringue
- It is very important that the mixing bowl and the whisk/beaters be clean and dry.
- Room temperature egg whites are best for a meringue with great volume.
- Add the sugar gradually as soon as soft peaks form.
- After adding the sugar, continue beating the egg whites until stiff peaks form and the sugar is dissolved. It should be completely smooth.